Sunday, December 23, 2012

Do you use plug in air freshners? Don't


I have been working on our basement family room area..so that is
finally getting the attention it needs.
I had a line of electric outlets on one wall that did not work, and
although I was doing a little insulation on the one end - I found a
wire that the previous owner must have hit with a drill or something.
So  I repaired that (not easily)  .  I figured that was the reason all
the outlets on the west side did not work.  It fixed two of them, but
then the Third one was dead,  So I took that one apart to find out it
was totally toasted!  Burned out from the inside - Melted the
insulation around it - and charred the back of the paneling. 

 I remember when we looked at the house there had been one of those plug
in room deodorizers in that outlet! - I had heard from my insurance agent that those
are a major cause for home fires - I think this one came close - but
since it never "shorted" it just burned the wires off the outlet and
did not blow the breaker.


No comments:

Post a Comment